To apply for writing the examination to become a SATI accredited translator in general translation, we require the following:
- The applicant should be a paid-up SATI member for at least 3 months.
- The applicant should have a higher education qualification in languages or linguistics, PLUS at least 2 years’ experience in a translation related environment.
- If the applicant does not have the above-mentioned higher education qualification, we require at least 5 years’ experience in a translation related environment.
- If candidates feel unsure about their current abilities or standard in translation or editing, they may apply to do a SATI practice test before doing the actual SATI accreditation examination. This will enable them to establish what our required standards are. The practice test for translation consists of only one text of about 500 words. The examination in translation consists of 3 texts of about 500 word each. Candidates can do the test or examination any time during the year and we send the examination to them in electronic format. The candidate chooses the date for the examination after consultation with the examination officer.
The various costs involved are the following:
- Practice test – R480
- Accreditation examination – R1 160
(Members outside South Africa pay a R250 Forex fee.)
↓Word file – Application for the SATI accreditation test/examination
↓PDF file – General information about the accreditation process
Email completed forms to email@example.com.
Contact the SATI office for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.