SATI accreditation in simultaneous interpretation is generally carried out in one or two centres in the country, but is dependent on an adequate number of applications to make an examination at a particular venue economically viable. Currently accreditation is only offered for simultaneous interpreting; other modes are planned to be added in due course. Candidates are examined in the language combination(s) of their choice (if SATI offers the language combination), with the accreditation certificate reflecting the relevant language(s) and mode. The accreditation exam comprises a simulated interpreting assignment using voice recordings and whispered interpreting equipment. The exam is recorded and assessed independently as well as anonymously by two markers appointed by SATI.
To apply for participating in the examination to become a SATI accredited interpreter in simultaneous interpretation, we require the following:
- The applicant should be a paid-up SATI member for at least 3 months.
- Be in possession of a post-secondary language practice qualification* aligned with the Higher Education Qualifications Framework, PLUS evidence of two years’ language practice work in the relevant discipline (with professional references – candidates must submit copies of their academic qualifications and academic record).
- Show evidence of at least five years’ language practice work in the relevant discipline (with professional references).
- Have a current accreditation by SATI.
* A language practice qualification is a qualification to prepare for applied language work such as translation, interpreting, text editing, terminology, lexicography and language planning; it does not include pure language studies or language teaching qualifications.
The various costs involved are the following:
- Accreditation examination (one direction) – R1160
(Members outside South Africa pay a R250 Forex fee.)
↓Word file – Application for the SATI accreditation test/examination
↓PDF file – General information about the accreditation process
↓PDF file / [3d-flip-book mode=”link-lightbox” pdf=”https://www.translators.org.za/downloads/2020/Simultaneous_interpretation_exam_PP2020.pdf” template=”short-white-book-view” lightbox=”light”]View Online [/3d-flip-book] – Presentation of the accreditation examination in simultaneous interpretation
Email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the SATI office for more information: email@example.com.