In the spirit of its motto, Per interpretes pons conditur, the South African Translators’ Institute is committed to playing its part in a changing world by helping to build bridges between people and groups and fostering in the community an awareness of the need for effective communication.
In pursuit of this goal the Institute endeavours:
- To promote excellence in translation and related fields, as well as clarity of thought and expression.
- To ensure high standards of professionalism among its members through accreditation and the adoption of a code of ethics.
- To provide support for its members both in their occupational lives and as members of a multicultural and dynamic society.
The Institute’s objectives, as given in its constitution, are as follows:
- To promote the interests of the translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology professions.
- To undertake and promote research in the fields of translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology and to make the results of such research available.
- To obtain appropriate publicity in the electronic and print media.
- To publish and control a website and journal of its own.
- To obtain the cooperation of experts and interested persons from institutions of higher education and other organisations and of associations and bodies both in Southern Africa and elsewhere and to promote common interests and action.
- To compile guides on language and translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology or to have them compiled.
- To collect and utilise funds for the achievement of its objectives.
- To draw up professional codes for translators, interpreters, text editors and terminologists and to work to ensure that members comply with them.
- To work towards improving the quality of training for translators, interpreters, text editors and terminologists.
- To implement a comprehensive system of accreditation with a view to ascertaining members’ competence in the fields of translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology.
↓PDF file – The Code of Ethics of SATI for individual members
↓PDF file – The Mission Statement of SATI for individual members
↓PDF file – The Code of Ethics of SATI for corporate members
↓PDF file – The Mission Statement of SATI for corporate members